Home » How to » Using the Mark 7 as a Base for your Chop Saw

Using the Mark 7 as a Base for your Chop Saw

IMG_1445

A chop saw is the one tool I really want to have in addition to my Mark 7. Yes, I can, and do, make compound miter cuts on my Shopsmith, as long as the project is fairly small, nothing more than a 3′ length.

But for longer cuts, like crown molding on kitchen cabinets, bookcases, etc. nothing beats a compound miter (chop) saw.

Since space is always limited, and a big chop saw base takes up a lot of real estate, it occurred to me that the Shopsmith could make a nifty base for my small Ryobi chop saw.

Here are my requirements: It would have to mount on and off the Shopsmith quickly. It would need to be solid and secure. It would….no, I guess that’s it. (Discovery! I found that if I do it right, I can still use it as the Mark 7 as a table saw while the chop saw is in place!)

My idea is to use the main and extension table of the Shopsmith to provide support on either side of the chop  saw.

Advertisements

11 Comments

1. Ernesto Segovia says:

That is one great way to save space. I was debating for a while how to use since the base I have for it is so big and bulky, but now you have given me an idea to make it smaller thank you

2. Deac says:

Great idea! Why not post the plans?

3. Just wondering if the base of the chop saw is the same height as the table saw table, to support longer boards.
    I just bought a used shopsmith.

• Yes; when building the chop saw stand, I first set the table of the Shopsmith to a height I would use the most. For me, about 1 1/4″ of blade exposure. That lets me rip anything up to 1′ thick. I then built the base so that the table of the chop saw would be the same height as the Shopsmith tables, so the tables act as support. Also, I can still use the Shopsmith for ripping and the chop saw for cross cuts with little changing of set ups.

4. Vaughn says:

How can I get a copy of the plans?

5. James Lee says:

I like it. I think I’ll make one myself. Do you have any plans? Thanks for sharing.

6. Mick Reed says:

Is it as simple as it looks? How did you secure it to the way tubes?

• Hi, Mick; it is and it isn’t that simple.The measurements are simple but critical, especially if you want to be able to have your Mark 7/MarkV set up to use the table saw for ripping while you are using the chop saw for cross cutting. Most important is the Mark 7 blade height. I used 2′, because that will handle anything up to a rough 2x. When I built the jig, I just made it so the table would match the height of the main table.
      Shopsmith recommends no more than ¼’ blade exposure.
      I originally planned (and may still do this) to put a locking bar at the bottom of the jig to keep it in place, but so far have seen no problem using it a you see it.

7. Jeff Winthers says:

Magnificent idea as I also have a small (10″) miter/chop saw! I have put this on my ‘must build soon’ list.