Home » How to » Why nothing new?

Why nothing new?

Westie love!

Doug Reid

Doug

Some of you have contacted me and asked why there have been few new videos on YouTube, or blog posts, or activity here.

Short answer: I was recovering from leukemia for most of 2014-2015, (operative word, “recovering”; I am in full remission, and it has been one year+ since I had a bone marrow transplant.)

The longer story: Thanks to Drs. Herzig, Rodriquez, Tse, and Chou, dozens of nurses at U of L, the 25 year old German woman who donated her bone marrow, and especially my wife Susan, I remain cancer free!

Update 7/15/16: I just had my two year checkup, and everything is terrific! And, we are traveling to Germany this fall to meet and thank my donor!

I am slowly, but happily, getting back to my role of Doug Reid, aka shopsmithdoug. We are relearning how to make videos, including classes on lighting, sound, staging, multiple camera shots, and editing. My brain is almost back to its normal brilliance.

Susan and I have been called “Shopsmith’s greatest cheerleaders”, and we like that description.

01/01/17 HAPPY NEW YEAR! And thanks for all your wishes and prayers. All continues to go well, and my bone marrow donor is coming for a visit this summer!

Advertisements

15 Comments

1. Frank Albert says:

Good to see you back!
    Saw you in a recently-releases official SS Video on getting started
    How about a product reveiw of part #555626 Bandsaw Eccentric Tubes.

• Hi Frank and thanks for your good wishes.
      Two tips on the eccentric tubes:
      1.The long end goes up! I know that seems obvious, but on some of the older manuals they show them upside down.
      2.If you don’t have a helper, use a stick of wood to leverage up the bandsaw and hold it in place while you do the adjustment.

Fortunately,this only has to be done once.

• Frank Albert says:

Doug,

I’ve bought a used SS jointer/planer. The fence rotates around the “quadrant” assembly but the quadrant does not lock in place on the fence mounting bar that it slides on. The handle locks very well and holds the fence at any angle, but the whole fence still freely slides on the mounting bar even with the handle locked. Am I missing a piece or something? HELP!

• Hi, Frank; this is what we used to call a head slapper. When you hear the answer you will slap your forehead and say, “Of course!”
        The jointer handle has two positions. Pull out to lock the angle, push in to lock the slide.Simple, but not obvious. Thanks for writing; I know there are many others who have that question.

• Frank Albert says:

You’re right about slapping my head! I did so right after I “finally” read the page in the manual that describes each part of the jointer…duh…

2. Robert Luebbers says:

Doug ~ Really sorry to hear about your health issues, but wanted to wish you the best. I still get your emails even though I have made the big leap to shopsmith. Still enjoy your videos and hearing about SS.

Best wishes and hoping for a complete recovery.

Bob Luebbers

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM, shopsmithwoodworker wrote:

> shopsmithdoug posted: ” Some of you have contacted me and asked why there > have been few new videos on YouTube, or blog posts, or activity here. Short > answer: I was recovering from leukemia for the last year, (operative word, > “recovering”; I am in full remission, and i” >

Liked by 1 person

3. Art Gunn says:

Doug & Susan

We gratefully received your news. Yes, the contact we have with your Shopsmith insight and woodworking & safety knowledge, is of great personal value and to you goes our lifelong appreciation.

Many of us have our own reasons for appreciating the value of nature around us and the satisfaction of our own modest creations in the workshop. We wish you continued progress as you return to your woodworking activities.

Best regards

Art Gunn

Liked by 1 person

4. Ken Grunenberg says:

Glad to hear your are better. Welcome back to the land of the termites. You were missed. Hope to see the dust flying soon.

Liked by 1 person

5. Joe Solt says:

Good to hear you are doing better. You and Susan have been missed.

Liked by 1 person

6. Marv Hall says:

Doug, I was shocked to hear about your battle. Glad it is in remission and you are back on your feet!! Thank God!!! I really missed your educational videos and remarks. I will continue to pray for you and Susan. Can’t wait to see your new videos!!

Liked by 1 person

7. Thanks to all for your good wishes! All is well. Now I just need to upgrade my couch potato status…

8. Doug, I wondered what happened to you. Glad your health has improved. I have watched almost all the videos you made. I first purchased my Shopsmith in the early 80’s but have not been able to use it for many years. I am now able to get back to it. I upgraded my headstock earlier this month and looking forward to using it. Looking forward to new videos coming out.

Is there anyway to view a video of the webinar from last evening. I was unable to watch it live.

Best Wishes
    Mike

• Hi, Mike and thanks for your good wishes;
      If you go to my youtube channel and look at the Mark7 demo, you will see most of what I cover in the webinar.Also, if you like I can send you and invitation too the next webinar.Just send me an email to shopsmith.doug@gmail.com

• Frank Albert says:

Doug,

I was watching a video you did a couple of Christmas’ ago using the jointer to flatten cupped boards. I’ve just started using the jointer so, when I come across a cupped board, is it better to cut the concave side first or the convex side first?

Frank Albert

• Hi, Frank and thanks for contacting me;
        You should joint the concave side first, then run that through the planer.If you try to joint with the convex side down, it will likely rock.